Need to undergo a DOT physical? Here’s what to expect from your appointment.
So you just got a job working for the DOT. Congratulations! Getting a new job can be exciting; however, before you start your job, there are some things you have to take care of first. Getting your DOT physical exam should be top of your to-do list. You’re in luck, because the physicians Dr. Autherine Sterling and Dr. Nadine Lindsay at DelCare Health Solution in Wilmington, DE, provide a full range of physicals including DOT physicals.
Here’s everything you could need to know about your upcoming DOT physical,
- All Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) holders must have 20/40 correctable vision in each eye. Of course, most people don’t have perfect vision naturally, so glasses or contact lenses are acceptable.
- We want to make sure your blood pressure stays at or below 140/90. If your blood pressure is above 140/90 you may need to come in more often for checkups so we can work with you to lower your blood pressure. Needing to take medication for your blood pressure will not prevent you from passing your DOT physical.
- It might seem obvious, but the use of narcotics, amphetamines or any habit-forming drug is strictly prohibited DOT wants only the safest and most responsible drivers on the road, so be aware that you will also be required to take random drug tests to keep your license.
- If you have serious heart problems like congestive cardiac failure, we will need you to do a stress test to make sure your heart is strong and healthy enough.
- It’s also important that you bring a list of all current medications you’re taking so we know what conditions you’re being treated for.
- There are also other health conditions that we need to be aware of so that we can clear you for your job. Let us know if you’ve been diagnosed with any of these conditions: a recent back injury, a recent major surgery, a current hernia, sleep apnea, or if you have had a recent workers’ compensation claim. The more information you share with us, the easier your DOT physical exam will be.
Does a DOT physical expire?
Your exam is good for up to 24 months. If you pass your DOT physical—our Wilmington, DE, team will give you a copy of the results to hold onto. Make sure you keep that certificate with you while you’re driving. You never know when you might need it.
Sure, there might seem like a lot of rules and regulations, but if you remember getting a physical before you could play sports, this really is no different. We just want to make sure you are healthy enough to have a long, fulfilling career, and we’ll make getting your DOT physical easy and painless. To schedule your physical with our Wilmington, DE, physicians, call DelCare Health Solution at (302) 467-1778.